Over the years, these ideas I have used and recommended to others to save money and headaches. Whether you are Moving vs Remodeling, these ideas may help you along the way.
Moving vs Remodeling Ideas:
- Have your new home cleaned top to bottom. Especially have your cleaner focus on scrubbing out all the cabinets. Cleaning is essential before the pest control service.
- Use your favorite pest control company to thoroughly treat all cabinets, baseboards, garage, and interior and exterior perimeter areas. Effective pest control will create a longterm barrier for many of those unwanted guests!
- Review your termite warranty and consider renewing the coverage. This peace of mind idea can pay off in potentially saving you future unplanned and costly repairs!
- Have your painter do full paint on all of the walls, especially the ceilings! You won’t get a second chance to do the hard to reach areas without all the headaches of tarping off your furniture.
- Have a good roof company to review and inspect all areas on the roof for any possible leaks. Again, having a quality roofer here is key to saving you money on repairs and potential interior leaks.
- Have a qualified plumber inspect all of the water stops for repair or replacement, including supply lines. Use high-quality copper supply lines and shutoffs, but no plastic core! Have the plumber also inspect the washer/dryer hose bibs, and the refrigerator ice maker water stops as well.
- Ask that favorite plumber to also service and inspect the main water shut off. It is a good idea to hang up the shut off tool in a dedicated spot inside the garage so that everyone knows where it is in the event of a significant water emergency.
- Again, your favorite plumber can do a pressure test on your domestic mainline servicing your home. High water pressure puts undue strain on your plumbing and may cause supply line leaks. Your plumber can install a pressure regulator to fix that.
- A quality carpet clean goes a long way, don’t forget to have your carpet vendor check the carpet for stretching. You don’t want ripples to form as furniture is moved around.
- Start your swimming season by having your pool inspected and serviced. Don’t forget to have that inspector double-check the pump and pool filter.
- Change all the locks and set up an emergency lockbox in the backyard for friends or vendors. You also want to change out the garage door codes and change the vendor code on your smart lock system.
- New! Install a quality fire extinguisher (5 lb.) on a highly accessible wall. It should come with a mounting bracket. Don’t hide it under a sink where it is hard to reach or will be forgotten about when the emergency strikes!
- If you maintain receipts, no matter if you are moving vs remodeling, improvements will make it easier for you to look back to any contractor for future repairs or warranty work. Keeping a repair history will good for reference in case a refinancing lender is asking or if you are thinking about listing. Potential buyers love a well-maintained home with receipts to prove it!
- Documenting your valuables with their estimated value is an excellent idea in case of an insurance claim.
- The City of Peoria Police has come up with this property marking system Crime Shield Program.
- The Crime Sheild program has a useful checklist under the “Resident Checklist” that I found to be useful. There are a large number of property tracking apps that you should look into to make your life simpler. A word of caution, never download the program from a third party site, always use a trusted site to download from.
This list has given me peace of mind when moving into a new home and added value to my living experience. As a realtor in Peoria AZ, I am always looking for good ideas that make my life simpler. If you have some questions about Moving vs Remodeling, you can contact me
Let me know some of your favorite items to do when moving into your new home, and I will update my list.